Tuesday 1 May 2012

5 Wardrobe Essentials



1. A black blazer.
We've all been on that night out where everyone freezes in the queue  - this is one of the many situations where the blazer triumphs. The style pictured is from asos.com and comes in at £40, a price tag that is easily justifiable for such a versatile item. 
A simple black blazer can be styled in various ways to create countless different looks, from androgynous and cool, to smart and sophisticated. Teamed with a pair of tapered trousers and a lace blouse, a blazer can ooze effortless boyish glamour, whereas over a smart tailored dress, a sophisticated and powerful look can be achieved, perfect for a job interview or an office environment. Alternatively, throw a black blazer over your favourite summer dress to create a funky, chic springtime look, or even over an evening dress to add a smart edge.The possibilities are inexhaustible.
Moreover, this type of jacket is perfect for all shapes and sizes: the tailored design will perfectly demonstrate the feminine silhouette.


2. A belted skater dress.
A tailored, belted skater dress is a simple yet smart option that can be worn for many occasions. Add heels and this style can provide an elegant look for a night out, or teamed with opaque black tights and flats, a more professional look can be achieved. A sleeveless skater dress can also double up as a pinafore which can be worn over a collared blouse for a cute and quirky outfit. Alternatively, pair with a simple cardigan and a chiffon scarf for a relaxed, summery daytime look. 
Whichever way you decide to style yours, the skater dress suits many different shapes as the tailoring and belt detail neatly nips in the waist. This particular design comes from Republic and costs £25, whereas boohoo.com offer similar dresses in a variety of colours for an incredibly reasonable £15. Although many shops and websites offer this type of dress in an abundance of patterns, the simple colour-blocked versions are the most versatile when it comes to creating an outfit - some patterns can prove difficult to style as they can clash with other items.


3. A black tube skirt.
Black skirts often provide the perfect partner to an embellished top or an elegant blouse, and this simple bandage style is perfect for many occasions. The elasticated material works in the same way as Bridget Jones' knickers - smoothing out any lumps and bumps to create an even silhouette, and paired with black tights can create an extremely pleasing slimming effect. Add flats for the daytime, or heels for the night, and this skirt can do no wrong. Many of my female friends swear by their black tube skirts as a wardrobe essential, and I even own two as I wear them so much. The design I opted for is the one pictured, from New Look, which comes in at the reasonable price of £15.99. I can wear it with everything from my nicest top, to a casual sweatshirt, proving that like all of the best fashion essentials, a simple black tube skirt really can be worn for any occasion. 


4. Nude wedges.
Wedges are my personal favourite type of shoes for any big night out, providing the comfort and staying power of a flat shoe, with the height advantage and elegance of a high heel, an essential for those of us who, like me, are rather lacking in the height department and feel self-conscious around their taller friends - my own pair have seen me through many a night. The pair pictured come from the American store Forever 21, which has recently crossed the Atlantic to immense popularity in the UK. I have bought several pairs of heels from the shop myself as they always provide good quality for an even better price - these wedges are a snip at £22.75. 
However, the real benefit of these shoes is the colour. Nude shoes provide an illusion of an elongated leg, as if they are an extension of the leg itself, making the wearer's legs appear longer and slimmer. With the added 5.5" wedge, these shoes will make even the shortest girl feel like a glamazon.


5. Summer-weight scarves.
Everyone knows that the easiest and most inexpensive way of updating an outfit is through accessories. As a self-confessed scarf addict, I have created quite a collection over the years; from cosy woolly ones, to elegant pashminas and vintage-style chiffon scarves. The latter provide the perfect addition during the breezy spring days, adding a whimsical, ethereal touch to any outfit. I always find H&M to be an Aladdin's Cave of unusual and affordable accessories, with this scarf coming in at just £7.99. 
My own personal favourites are a silk souvenir scarf I picked up in Rome, and a couple that I found by rummaging through the bargain bin in a local vintage store. Accessories, particularly scarves, are an excellent addition to your outfit in terms of individuality, as it is easy to find unique items. Day or night, formal or casual, lightweight scarves add an effortless dash of colour to even the simplest outfit.

4 comments:

  1. Hello, interesting blog - just found you from Twitter.
    How do you think silk/cotton scarves are best worn? I've got a couple that I just tie round my neck but sometimes I think they look a bit too mumsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I generally wear mine draped round my neck rather than wrapped or tied. It is the easiest way to wear a scarf, and it also emphasises the flow of the material. I hope that helps, thank you for reading my blog, I hope you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! But I can be so clumsy sometimes I'd worry about trapping it in a door! I shall try and experiment more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I know exactly what you mean, I'm so clumsy myself! I've never found that to be a problem though because usually your jacket/cardigan, if you're wearing one, will hold it in place!

    ReplyDelete